Saturday, November 04, 2006

Teaching...the first 3 days

I sit in my apartment, knowing that I really should brush my teeth and call it a night but I'm compelled to instead type away at this blog which has been woefully neglected. Whilst I type, I'm wondering how on Earth some people manage to both teach full time and take care of families. I'm teaching part time, my husband is away and I feel like I'm barely functioning. My apartment hasn't been vacuumed in probably 3 weeks (and I can see crumbs on the floor which I think I should pick up and never actually do, how hard is it to stoop down and pick up a friggin' crumb?), my sink is full of dirty dishes, and the bathroom is a mess. And that's just in 3 days! Hmm, I guess I have no excuse on the vacuuming. Not to mention that's also without having assignments or report cards to mark and such.

In 3 days of teaching I have:
1. Told my class to sit down approximately 5 billion times
2. Told my class to quiet down approximately 10 billion times
3. Explained and then re-explained 'factors' in math approximately a million times (an improvement!)
4. Felt that I was being ignored (by my class) at least 70% of the time.
5. Repeated the phrase "I'm waiting until everyone is listening" about twice a minute.
6. Had a successful math class 33% of the time
7. Felt like I wanted to go home and lay prostrate on the couch 100% of the time

Such is the life of a beginning teacher and I only teach part time! If I've discovered anything it's that the loudness of my voice is really a gift and not a curse and that kids are constantly surprising you.

Stay tuned for your next report...


No comments: