Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ballet and rusty muscles

So, I enrolled in a ballet class last month because I hadn't done anything active with my body since I quit dancing (10 years ago, yep, got NO tone). I excitedly bought peachy/pink ballet slippers and anally sewed on elastics for them. I've been out of the loop, not only are the slippers made from leather but they also are made from canvas! I never knew.

Because of my past experience I figured I'd be good to go in level 2. It's like riding a bike right? Once you've done it, you never forget.

Let me tell you, muscles that haven't been used in 10 years, put up a SEVERE fight when you try to force them into positions again. Trying to keep my arm up felt like I was lugging around 10 pounds, and this when it never was an issue. My balance bid me goodbye as well. Strange that I never thought about any of these things when I was younger and taking 3-5 classes a week. By the end of class I admitted defeat to my atrophied muscles and staggered out. For the next 4 days I endured the protest of over-stretched muscles from my legs, arms, adbdomen, back and neck.

I keep going back for more and its getting easier I'm glad to say. I think my muscles have thrown in the towel now. I think they'll actually be grateful in the end.

No comments: