Thursday, February 17, 2005

My random observations of children

After subbing for several weeks now, I really think that the world of students is quite amazing. The changes from grade to grade, their self-awareness. It's all been a good experience for me.

I had previously thought that I would never want to substitute teach. I didn't like the idea of just walking into a classroom and then trying to figure out how things were run and what routines the kids were used to. I still don't like that aspect but in return, I'm exposed to a lot of different methods of teaching.

The differences from class to class are substantial. One grade 1/2 class can be angels and the next will make you want to scream. Trust me, I've worked with both! I've learned a lot of patience and I've learned to laugh with the children when I make mistakes. Or maybe they're laughing at me, who knows?

What I've described above is only for elementary. Junior high is another universe. Here we see young adolescents with raging hormones and the desire to start expressing themselves as individuals. I think I myself was a rather mundane, boring adolescent since I did next to no rebelling against authority. You can't use the: "It's not nice to talk when others are talking. Make a better choice." speech with these kids. Instead, I turn into a shrew, yelling every 5 minutes at whatever these students choose to do to push me to my limit. And they'll try EVERYTHING. I have great respect for those who regularly sub at junior highs.

What I've also noticed now is the medication some students take. Be it for overactivity or emotional problems, many kids are prescribed something for a disorder. During one sub job I had to give medication out to the students at certain times. One student, who had been rather hard to control for the last half-hour before lunch, said to me: "This is why I get this way. It's because it's time to take another pill." He came back after lunch a little hyper but then settled down quickly to his work. I still don't know what I really think about meds. I still think they're over prescribed to young children.

My desire to teach stemmed from having had a wonderful teacher when I was in Grade 3. During my first year of student teaching I went through a rather harrowing practicum which I just barely survived. The second year went much better and now here I am. Just keep reminding yourself that they're only just kids and the day gets that much easier.

No comments: