Saturday, January 22, 2005

The agony (there is no ecstasy) of long distance

Today I woke up at around 9, realized I hadn't been called into work and fell asleep again. I got up at 10 for good, a little later than usual. Every morning that I wake up I kind of have to reconcile myself to the fact that my boyfriend is living a very very far distance from me in Korea. This isn't fun. To all of you who have made it through long distance I applaud you because there were/are a lot of times when I melodramatically wonder if I can make it (and it's only 3 freakin' months!). We've managed 6 weeks so far, with about 5 left to go. *groan* To me, this is sort of like being broken up but still talking to and emailing each other.

Everyone told me that long distance was good for us. It would force us to communicate via different mediums than we otherwise would've if still within walking distance of each other. They told me if we couldn't make it through a mere 3 months we probably shouldn't be together. While this is true, I would much rather be together than apart. Of course, what couple wouldn't? The distance forces one to really think about the relationship, what's good, what's bad and what do I really want? Trust me, I've gone through this ad nauseum. I'm a girl and also a person with an analytical nature so it's my job to be obsessive. I also have to reconcile myself to the fact that he and I are living pretty separate lives right now and that thought doesn't make me happy. Sure we talk and email but with that being as limiting as it is, can he really know what my life is like here and vice versa? I think all people with significant others want to be a part of the experience, and not just hear about it.

With all that said, there is an end in sight now, a lot closer than it was when I arrived home on December 11th. It'll be nice when February is here because...well it'll be that much closer to March. So I'll end off here and update you on my life as it goes along.

No comments: