Friday, July 15, 2005

My life so far ..pre and now, post engagement

Hello and welcome to another installment of what I should've titled the Yuri Chronicles. I haven't updated in a sinfully longtime. I've been busy, y'know, sub teaching and obsessing about things I don't really need to obsess about. I find life just isn't all that perfect unless I'm worrying about something. The following post is a self-indulgent bit of writing that probably heralds the coming of that dreaded creature...Bridezilla.

So, a rather major event that happened last month was deciding to make it officially known that Will and I intend to get married. Yes that's right! It included the buying of a sparkly diamond ring that now sits quite happily on my formerly lonely left ring finger.

I'm a very boring bride-to-be. I'm not one who blazed through the door and shrilled out to my mother, "I'm going to get MARRIED!" No, rather I sat in a state of anxiety of how to tell my parents and ended up blurting it out during dinner, right before I sensed my father was about to open his mouth to lecture me about going to Japan. This lecture is something that had taken place on almost a nightly basis when I was still just a 'girlfriend'. Why was I going? What was I going to do there? And so on and so forth. However, upon the unelegantly delivered news, my mother and I watched, open-mouthed, as my father went through a series of emotions (and almost contortions) that ended by him declaring he was going to take out all his coworkers for lunch the next day and the emptying of many glasses of red wine. He no longer lectures me about going to Japan. This sparkly ring has solved many a problem in that department. The space he, and my mother, now give me is actually kind of frightening.

So the moral of this story is: When having a hard time trying to coexist with your boyfriend and your Korean born and raised parents, just put a sparkly diamond on your left ring finger and poof! Watch your former worries fly out the window.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Yuri! I had no idea that you were engaged! So have you planned any details yet: location, date, honeymoon locale? It's amazing what a turn life can take with just a simple yet sincere relationship with another human being. Things are getting pretty serious between Joey and I now...to the point where we've discussed buying a house together. Now that we're back in Calgary (at least for the time being), we should really get together and catch up! TTYL and congrats again! ~Esther