Saturday, August 16, 2008

After 29 hours of travel torture comes Melbourne

Hello all, I write to you in Melbourne where I have finally gotten access to the internet. I was only 3 days without it but man, it seems like a long time!

I see that I have neglected my blog but with good reason, living in Canada was boring. I love Canada but when you've grown up there and the majority of people reading your blog have grown up there then it's not so interesting to write or read about. But now onto Oz...

I've been in Melbourne now for 3 days and, surprisingly, my jet lag isn't nearly as bad as I'd anticipated. I think partly due to the fact Will did his damndest to make sure I didn't sleep during the day. Usually I'm falling asleep in my dinner or zonking out in front the TV. That usually results in me waking up wide-eyed and alert at the convenient hour of 3 am.

First impressions, it's grey and it rains...ALOT. All 3 days have involved on and off rain and today bizarrely bright sunshine. I've been trying to convince Will that he wants to live in Vancouver. So far I see no real difference, weather-wise that is.

We live in an suburb of Melbourne called "Brunswick West". It isn't the newest neighbourhood out there and our apartment definitely could use some work. There isn't any central heating here so it's cold, though not nearly so much so as Japan where I turned into a veritable popsicle.

Houses here are very Victorian looking. Actually I'm reminded of New Orleans' French Quarter when I look at them. Downtown Melbourne has a similarly decadent feel with a good number of Victorian-era buildings still standing (or at the very least having been restored).

I'm still in the process of figuring out which stores are what and what the equivalents of my favorite clothing places would be. I'll post more later about the Tram system going on here, I still need to figure that out too. Stay tuned for what will hopefully be a more interesting post than this one. I'm begging fatigue as an excuse for the rather boring nature of it.

No comments: